GW will face Stanford in NCAAs

They made it again. The GW women’s basketball received an at-large bid Sunday night to the NCAA Tournament and will play Stanford University Saturday in Norman, Okla. The game is scheduled for 10 p.m. and will be televised on ESPN.

The Colonials (22-9) earned a No. 7 seed for the second-straight year and will face the tenth-seeded Cardinal in the West Region. Last season GW battled another Pacific 10 Conference team, the University of California-Los Angeles.

GW coach Joe McKeown said a No. 7 seed was about right for the Colonials.

“I was happy with the seed,” he said. “I think it shows that we’re well thought of. People respect us.”

GW senior guard Kristeena Alexander said the team can finally move on now that it has a destination.

“We know who we’re playing,” Alexander said. “We know where we’re going. Now we just have to prepare for Stanford. Try and get a win. One and done now.”

In Stanford (18-10), GW finds a team comparable to Xavier with size and strength inside. The Cardinal won a share of the PAC 10 title Saturday.

The NCAA berth is GW’s eighth in the past ten seasons. The Colonials are a perfect 8-0 in first-round games under McKeown. Last season Elisa Aguilar led GW with 23 points past UCLA in the Mideast Regional first-round game. The University of Notre Dame ended the Colonials season in the second round with a 95-60 victory.

The Colonials were an at-large team because Xavier won the Atlantic 10 Tournament March 5, defeating GW 81-56. As a result of the win, Xavier received the automatic berth and received a No. 4 seed and home court advantage for the first two rounds.

GW’s loss to the Musketeers forced the Colonials to wait and put their faith in the hands of a NCAA Selection Committee.

GW had its longest run in 1996-97, when the Colonials advanced to the Elite Eight before losing to Notre Dame 62-52. The Colonials entered that game coming off an upset of No. 4 University of North Carolina. The team’s current administrative assistant, former GW star Tajama Abraham, led the team with 18 points and12 rebounds in that game.

In 1995, GW advanced to the Sweet Sixteen after defeating Depaul and Drake universities. The University of Colorado ended GW’s run with a 77-71 victory.