Senators call for SA unity

A new class of freshman senators will join the Student Association next year with hopes for unity and change within the organization.

Senators running on the GWUnited platform came away with five Senate seats, while members on the Change for Students slate took four. But while GWUnited members plan to stick to their platform in the Senate next year, members of the Change for Students slate said they have no specific plans once they take office.

Capturing the undergraduate-at-large positions, GWUnited candidates Raj Parekh and Matt Hargarten said they will stick to their platforms and redefine the role of the undergraduate-at-large seat.

“We will be held accountable to our GWUnited platform, and plan on visiting student groups to hear their concerns so we can focus on them when we allocate funding next fall,” Parekh said.

Serving as outgoing SA President David Burt’s chief of staff, Parekh said that he saw too much animosity between this year’s Senate and the president. He said he hopes Kapoor’s relationship with the Senate will lead to a more productive Senate.

Parekh said a ban on palmcarding will be on the top of his agenda along with fairer funding for student groups who currently receive little funding and put on successful events.

Another senator elected from the GWUnited slate, Phil Robinson took one of the School of Business and Public Management seats. The former president of the Black Student Union said he plans to work with others on his slate to create an SA that better represents students.

He named online voting as an important focus for next year.

“Students had a number of problems with voting this election and I think online voting would make the process a lot easier and allow more students to vote,” Robinson said.

Garnering the most votes among the five students elected to Columbian School of Arts and Sciences seats, Fiona Conroy is one of the few senators returning for a second term.

After working this year as a freshman senator, Conroy said she hoped that next year’s Senate will be more effective.

“I would like to take on a leadership role with the other incumbents next year in helping to recreate the Senate and hope to accomplish a lot things for the student body,” Conroy said.

She said that her first initiative is to continue to work on the ideas that were proposed this year.

Senator-elect Eric Daleo (U-CSAS) said he wants to stay away from internal SA bickering and work on issues important to the students.

“I want people to be able to say that the Senate has done something at the end of next year, something that they are unable to say this year,” Daleo said.