Kapoor takes majority, Singer wins EVP

Roger Kapoor received the most votes for Student Association president, the Joint Elections Committee announced to a calm Hippodrome crowd Wednesday afternoon – about 12 hours before taking him out of the race for violating spending rules Thursday.

Kapoor took a commanding 56.6 percent of the vote. Bob Simon finished second with 29.5 percent of the vote, while Loren received 13.9 percent.

Josh Singer squeaked by executive vice presidential candidate Mike Pellegrino with just enough votes to win the position without a run-off election.

Students will pay $1 a credit hour directly to the SA after a referendum passed by a wide margin – 1,303 to 651 – to take SA funding away from University discretion. The other referendum on the ballot, one for a new SA constitution, failed by fewer than 50 votes – 927 to 976. The Change for Students constitution would have split the SA Senate into graduate and undergraduate houses among other provisions.

Kapoor lost a week-long battle with the JEC and SA Student Court to remain on the ballot. After two more JEC hearings Wednesday night, Kapoor was found in violation for not reporting pizzas bought at discounted prices and turning in financial forms to the JEC 15 minutes late. The spending limit violation was enough to take away Kapoor’s victory, according to JEC rules.

Although JEC rules suggest that the second-place finisher assume the office of president should the winner be unable to assume the position, the SA constitution says a run-off election is necessary if a candidate does not receive 40 percent of the vote.

The SA Constitution supercedes the JEC rule.

Earlier Wednesday afternoon, supporters congratulated Kapoor after the JEC announced his victory. Kapoor said he was excited to take on the new position.

“It’s been a roller coaster ride,” he said. “But I’m ready to get to work and have some fun . big time.”

Before the JEC’s ruling, Kapoor said he was not concerned with the pending complaints.

“The JEC does its job,” Kapoor said. “I’ll tell them what’s happening . you know, the usual.”

Josh Singer won the executive vice presidential race with 41.5 percent of the vote, ahead of Mike Pellegrino, who received 38.7 percent and J.P. Blackford, who received 19.8 percent.

Singer said he is excited to take on his new role as head of the SA Senate. Singer said he thought the election would go to a run off.

“I’ve been studying for midterms,” Singer said. “These past two days have been pretty nervous.”

Singer, a current SA executive branch member, said he has already discussed plans for transition with EVP Cathy Resler.

In Senate elections, students who ran on party slates won nine seats.

GWUnited came away with five Senate seats, while the Change for Students slate took four.

Capturing both undergraduate-at-large Senate seats, GWUnited candidates Raj Parekh and Matt Hargarten said they plan to redefine the role undergraduate at large senators play.

Mimi Bienia and Mark Nerney captured the Elliott School of International Affairs undergraduate seats, while Dan Moss and Phil Robinson won the School of Business and Public Management undergraduate seats.

“I am relieved that this election is over and am hoping that with all of the GWUnited senators, we will finally start to have a Student Association that represents the student body,” Robinson said.

Fiona Conroy, Eric Daleo, Mira Brown, Bridget O’Brien and Jennifer Beppu won Columbian School of Arts and Sciences seats.

One of the only returning senators from this year’s senate, Conroy said she hopes to taking advantage of her leadership role next year.

Zack Ibrahim and Brian Cohen took the two graduate at-large seats.

Tayseer Aldaghlas and Josh Nathan were elected from the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, while J. Reed Beebe, Cynthia Sanchez and Anne Ruppel won graduate SBPM seats.

Joann Aakre and Rudy Alvarez captured the School Engineering and Applied Sciences undergraduate seats, while J.P. Blackford and Christian Salmon took the graduate seats.

Although Blackford lost his bid at EVP, he won election for the Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences senate seat with one write-in vote, enough to enter his eighth term in the Senate.

Ofer Wellisch captured the School of Public Health and Human Services seat, Derek Lion took the ESIA graduate seat and Maureen Benitz was elected as a CSAS graduate senator.

Christina Ogene and Tom Meier won the two Law School positions.

-Jason Steinhardt and Mosheh Oinounou contributed to this report.