WEB EXCLUSIVE: Hoeffel questions Bush’s ability to lead nation at GW address

Rep. Joseph Hoeffel (D-Pa.) encouraged GW College Democrats and other students to get active in politics in an address Wednesday evening.

“If you can relate to people, if you have personal values and views, if you have an agenda to pursue, you can be very successful,” Hoeffel said to group of about 50 students. “There is nothing magical about people who hold office. Don’t be shy. If you enjoy the process you must run for office.”

The congressman, who represents Pennsylvania’s 13th District, expounded his opinions on President George W. Bush, discussed U.S. foreign policy relations with Russia and spoke about his own political past.

Hoeffel said Bush presented a bipartisan view in the address to Congress televised nationally Tuesday night but his sentiments seemed rehearsed.

Hoeffel said he was disappointed when Bush cancelled funds to foreign pro-choice education programs in Africa. The countries were not using the U.S. funding for actual abortions but strictly for family-planning education, Hoeffel said.

The congressman said the ignorance of Bush’s decision was evident to those who were informed about the subject of family-planning aid.

“I think he’s intellectually lazy,” Hoeffel said. “Nobody’s really sure about what he’s doing.”

Hoeffel said former President Bill Clinton was more informed and interested in foreign policy that Bush. He said he opposes Bush’s proposal for public school vouchers and said he was in favor of increased college funding.

Students said they appreciated hearing the congressman’s views.

“He was honest and entertaining, and, despite him being a Democrat, his speech had value for those on either side of the political spectrum,” sophomore Dwain Smith said.

“I think Hoeffel outlined the key points of the Democratic party looking at the Bush presidency,” said sophomore Jesse Demastrie, voter outreach director for the CDs.

Hoeffel, born during the Cold War, made his first trip to Russia last week. He said he was astounded by the progress of democracy in the former Soviet Union.

“They’re certainly not our mortal enemies any longer,” Hoeffel said.

Hoeffel said U.S. plans for a missile defense system could do more harm than good because Russian leaders may feel the need to build nuclear arms for defense.

“The last thing we want to do is ignite another arms race,” Hoeffel said.

Hoeffel said he is disappointed by Vladimir Putin’s stranglehold on the Russian press. While Russia has made tremendous democratic advancements, such as electing officials and privatizing business, he said the Russian press has not been granted the privilege to openly criticize its leaders without repercussions.

Students spoke with Hoeffel after his speech, offering compliments and asking questions.

“You don’t even know how cool you are,” freshman Lauren Kornutrick told Hoeffel.

Event organizers said they were pleased by Hoeffel’s candor.

“I definitely thought he brought a lot of good issues that college students care about,” said sophomore John Dunn, CD assistant events coordinator, who organized the event. “He answered everyone’s questions very thoroughly and he’s very entertaining and engaging.”

Hoeffel first ran for a Pennsylvania State Senate seat in 1974 when he was 23 years old and just out of college. He lost against a ten-year Republican incumbent, but did not quit.

“I just kept at it,” Hoeffel said.

Hoeffel ran a second time and won, serving eight years as a state representative. In 1984 and 1986 Hoeffel lost attempts at a seat in Congress, and was appointed commissioner of Montgomery County in Pennsylvania in 1991. He lost a bid for Congress again in 1996, this time by a margin of 84 votes. He was finally elected in 1998.

Hoeffel said he visited GW to thank the people who helped return to a second term in November.

“There are a lot of people here from my district and I like talking to college kids,” Hoeffel said, “Don’t sit back. If there’s an opportunity you don’t seek, someone else will.”