O’Neil, Gless win PB executive spots

Sophomore Bryan Gless will help incoming Program Board Executive Chair Alicia O’Neil encourage more participation in the PB and fund more student group activities in his new role as executive vice president.

Gless defeated sophomore Bernard Pollack by 156 votes.

Gles said he wants to create a specific fund for PB to co-sponsor events with other student organizations. Under the current system, groups receive money from different parts of the PB budget.

“I just want to guarantee that student groups have a certain amount of money in a fund so they can be sure there will be money for their events, assuming they do everything properly,” he said. “It’s a good way for them to them to pace themselves and gauge how they’ve come so far and how to give out money.”

Ben Getto, Kamal Pathak, Josh Rothstein and Zach Beyer won undergraduate at-large Marvin Center Governing Board seats, and Patrick Ledesma was re-elected uncontested to the graduate at-large seat.

Getto was the top MCGB vote recipient with 257 votes.

O’Neil, who ran unopposed, said she will focus on recruiting nine executive committee programming chairs. Applications are available starting Monday, she said.

“We’d like to have a lot of applications so we can have the best talent and variety of people involved,” she said. “Anything that someone has an interest in and wants to put events on for, we have a chair for it.”

O’Neil said she plans to continue PB programs created this year, including a new graduate programming agreement. She wants to expand the Attendance Has its Rewards program, which rewards students attending PB events.

“Anyone can help out with any event and I want to encourage people to be involved in the different events,” O’Neil said.

Both Gless and O’Neil said they will be able to work well together.

“I’m thrilled. Bryan and I have always had a very good working relationship,” O’Neil said.

Board of Elections Chair Matt O’Malley announced the winners of the Program Board and Marvin Center Governing Board elections Thursday in the Hippodrome.

“With these two organizations, the whole dynamic of the race is different than the SA,” O’Malley said. “We didn’t hand out any violations, they were really great candidates. I hope that, win or lose, everyone stays involved, they are a really great group of kids.”

Gless said the election was unique because his opponent, GWUnited candidate Bernard Pollack, had never been involved in PB before.

“Usually only PB people challenge each other,” he said. “I think that’s pretty cool because it shows how PB is open to change, and it also shows how PB is working because students didn’t vote for change.”

Ledesma is a graduate student in the School of Public Health and Health Sciences, and is an assistant manager of the Hippodrome.

Beyer, a sophomore, has worked in the Marvin Center for the last year and a half with the Student Activities Center.

“I thought I’d be good at dealing with those Marvin Center issues,” he said.

Beyer said he would like to focus on adding a late-night coffee option on campus, possibly in the Hippodrome, and “a lot of student organization services.”

“I’m really excited about this year,” he said. “The board looks like they’re really dedicated.”