It’s bye-bye birdies for three GW golfers

Citing team differences and time commitment issues, junior Bobby Barnett and senior Mike Goldman quit the golf team before spring play. The team has also lost J.B. McCuskey, a fall walk-on who decided to pursue an internship.

Goldman, a senior from Philadelphia, played on the team for three years before deciding to pack up his clubs.

“Staying on the team threatened my love for the game,” Goldman said. “I think the team was divided at times. It was also very time consuming. When you play a Division I sport, it’s a huge commitment.”

“Mike had other things he needed to get done,” GW head coach Scott
Allen said. “He didn’t want to half-way his commitment.”

Goldman said he will miss playing golf this spring because the team gave him a sense of belonging.

Junior Bobby Barnett said he left the team after Goldman because of
personal differences with teammates and unwillingness to put in required time.

“I had differences with the players and the captains,” Barnett said. “I wasn’t putting the time into performing to the best of my ability.”

With daily two-hour workouts during an intense off-season that included Saturday practices, Barnett said he was not ready for the commitment. After a disappointing end to the fall season, the team wanted to increase its workouts and preparation.

“It was time for me to leave,” Barnett said. “I will definitely miss playing, but right now I don’t have the time to put into it that Scott (Allen) wanted.”

Allen said the team’s dedication will help it survive the losses.

“We have lost some depth to our team, but we have eight guys who are really focused and really want to be here without any distractions,” Allen said.

Allen said his top players are beginning to regain their top form, but he added that losing veterans Goldman and Barnett is difficult.

“We have always had a deep team. Tim Derdenger and Darren Ressler are starting to get their `A’ game back,” Allen said. “Losing Mike and Bobby will hurt us, but they were both distracted so neither of them were playing their best.”