Superstar duo sparks romance in The Mexican

The Mexican (Dreamworks), starring two of Hollywood’s most attractive, highest-paid actors, seems like a dream come true, and for the most part it is. Sexy Brad Pitt (Fight Club) and striking Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich) create perfect chemistry as their characters’ love-hate baby quarrels come to life onscreen. Under the direction of Gore Verbinski, The Mexican combines fun, ethnic flavor with action, comedy, romance and even a splash of mystery.

Jerry Welbach (Brad Pitt) decides to put aside his criminal ways and accompany his girlfriend, Sam (Julia Roberts) to Las Vegas. But a change of plans, forced on him by his boss Margolies (Gene Hackman), plants Jerry on a plane to Mexico. His mission: to bring back an ancient gun called “The Mexican,” which is believed to carry a curse linked with an always-changing romantic tale about two forbidden lovers.

Sam decides Jerry’s newest assignment is all that she can take. Regardless of her obvious love for Jerry, she decides to go to Las Vegas without him. Unbeknownst to Jerry, Sam gets drawn into the fiasco when she is kidnapped at a Las Vegas mall.

Jerry’s escapade in Mexico begins when a stray bullet hits his boss’s grandson and his rented El Camino is hijacked. The inconceivable bad chain of events, which could only be brought about by the mysterious pistol, causes Margolies to question Jerry’s faithfulness to his mission. Margolies sends in Todd, Jerry’s associate, to recover the gun and finish off Jerry.

North of the border, Sam is held hostage by a surprisingly sensitive and caring hitman Leroy, played by James Gandolfini (“The Sopranos”). The two develop a friendly trust and exchange love advice, and share a touching moment when Leroy asks Sam, “When two people are madly in love and just can’t get it together, when is enough, enough?” Sam seems startled and speechless because of the question’s direct relevance to her relationship with Jerry.

The plot of The Mexican never seems to fade as the always-changing story line wavers back and forth from Jerry’s possession of the gun to its unknown whereabouts. The audience can feel Jerry’s anger and confusion throughout the movie.

The Mexican‘s line-up of characters can get quite confusing at times, but the acting is pleasing and never overpowering. Roberts shines as the emotional, yet cynical, hostage. Pitt plays the cute, yet no-nonsense criminal at ease. And no movie staring Brad Pitt is complete without the scene focusing on his bulging biceps. As a supporting actor, Gandolfini gives the most unexpected performance and contributes greatly to the success of the film.

With all the right ingredients for a great movie, The Mexican is nothing but “bueno.”