Late inning rally downs Colonials

The GW men’s baseball team lost to host James Madison University 4-2 Tuesday afternoon at Long/Mauck Stadium. The loss drops the Colonials to 1-3 record early in the 2001 season.

The Colonials held a 2-1 lead entering the bottom of the seventh inning before James Madison (3-3) began its comeback. The Dukes scored two runs in the inning on a bases-loaded walk and a sacrifice fly. The Dukes scored their final run in the eighth inning when James Madison shortstop Nathan Doyle connected on an RBI single.

The Colonials fell behind in the third inning when James Madison center fielder Greg Miller singled, bringing home second baseman Mitch Rigs. The run was the only one given up by junior lefthander Mike O’Connor. He pitched four innings in his first start of the year, giving up one run on two hits. O’Connor struck out four, but gave up seven walks.

GW came back strong in the top of the fourth inning when junior Mike Bassett doubled to right center. Bassett later came around to score on Ross Smirne’s RBI single to right field. Tony Dokoupil continued the attack when he belted a double down the left field line. Smirne advanced to third and later scored on a balk by James Madison pitcher Chris Cochran.

Chris Worth was charged with the loss pitching in relief of O’Connor – Worth’s second loss of the season.

GW will face host University of North Carolina-Charlotte for a weekend series with the 49ers. The series will conclude GW’s seven-game road trip to begin the season.