Burying the Hatchet

I love my friends but I hate going out with them. They all need to be the center of attention and flirt with everyone. Anytime we are at a bar or club and a guy approaches me, my girlfriends try to steal him away from me. I’ve told them how annoying it is but they swear they don’t do it on purpose. How do I stop getting cock-blocked by my girlfriends?

-In the corner

I’ve been there and it basically sucks. All you can really do is start going out with new friends or start working a little harder at the bar and becoming more like them, probably something you don’t want to do. If guys are approaching you, and your friends are the ones always “cock-blocking,” I would say you are the more confident one of your entourage. Take that confidence and blow your insecure man-stealing friends out of the water. Walk out of the bar with half a dozen guys’ phone numbers and one on your arm. Your friends will be so in awe they will want to sit back and get tips on picking up men by watching you instead of blocking you.

* * *

A friend from work is trying to set me up with this really hot guy. In fact, she just introduced him to me last night, and I think we hit it off. Now I don’t know what to do. I’ve been invited to go out with him – as part of a group – Saturday, but I’m one of those annoyingly impatient people who can’t wait until then. Plus, what if I get lost in the crowd, and I don’t make a good enough impression?
My friend said she would give me his phone number, but I’m not so sure I should try to call him so soon. I don’t want to seem needy or desperate or have him think I’m a stalker. What should I do?

-Ready to explode

You just have to work your work friend on this one. Have your work friend who tried to set you guys up be your source of info. Ask her to find out what the guy thought of you, although I’m sure she is probably doing that already. I’m sure you friend knows the guy well enough and talks to him enough to give you more of an inkling into how he functions and thinks, which will give you better timing for your next step. Saturday is just a few days away, just relax or you might blow a good opportunity.

* * *

I have two friends who absolutely hate each other. I’m sick of having to put up with the fact that they don’t get along. What do I do? Do I have to split up my time with each of them? Do I just choose one of them? The fighting and hatred between the two of them is just so draining. I can’t deal with it anymore.

-Feuding friendships

There are always reasons why people don’t get along. If they were both your friends they would make an effort to get along, yada yada yada, we all know how that goes. The truth, they don’t really owe you anything. They are your friends but you can’t dictate whom they get along with. Set some rules with them about not bashing the other in front of you. This will help to make your life a little more bearable.
Another suggestion if you feel like putting the work in, is to really talk with them and find our where the hatred has evolved from. It might just be a misunderstanding that can be cleared up. If it is true honest hatred and they will never get along and you really just can’t take it, I say drop them both. You can’t be friends with people who can’t even accept your other friends, even on the most basic levels.