WEB EXCLUSIVE: College recruiting Web site makes its debut

A new Web site aims to connect students with relevant undergraduate and graduate programs they are likely candidates for.

Get-recruited.com offers students admissions and general information about college, matching them with their academic background, achievements, proposed fields of study and preferences. Students fill out a questionnaire, which takes about five minutes, that is forwarded to participating colleges.

The Web site launched in July and currently links students with 80 colleges, the only ones that receive student information from the site. By releasing information to many schools, the site aims to make applicants aware of schools they had not previously considered, said Dan Rosenfield, communications director for Get-recruited.com.

“Our system is programmed so that participating colleges only get questionnaires from students meeting the criteria set by the colleges,” Rosenfield said.

Students said the site could eliminate some of the mystery surrounding college admissions.

“This sounds like a good way to determine whether or not a school is interested in you, so that you will know your chances when you apply,” freshman Barrie Gordon said.

Others said they are interested in learning more about the atmosphere of a school before applying.

“It could be helpful with information about daily life at a school,” law school student Jonathan Celva said.

One student, who is in the process of applying to graduate school, said a Web site that consolidated graduate options would help her decide where to go.

“I’m applying to graduate school right now, and I have to visit so many individual sites,” senior Shenice Hackett said. “If there was one site with lots of schools it would be a lot easier.”

-Spencer Peeples