McCalla leads Colonials to win

The No. 25 GW women’s gymnastics team swept its long weekend with a dominating win over the University of Maryland and a first-place finish at the Towson Invitational. Once again, Devin McCalla stole the show.

After earning her second-straight Atlantic 10 Performer of the Week honor Monday afternoon, McCalla led GW to a 194.750-191.700 win over the Terrapins at the Smith Center. It was the team’s second defeat of Maryland this season. McCalla won the all-around with a 39.350, the same score she won with at Towson. Jessica Mantak finished second with a 39.175.

The Colonials finished Saturday’s Towson Invitational with a meet record of 195.175, placing ahead of Towson (194.125), James Madison University (190.675), the University of Pennsylvania (189.325) and Temple (186.900). GW won the event last year with a score of 194.375.

At Towson, McCalla won the all-around title for the second-straight year with a score of 39.350. McCalla finished first on the balance beam, tied for second on the vault and floor exercise and finished fourth on the bars. Mantak placed fourth overall with a score of 39.050.

GW sophomore Kacey Coyne won the vault (9.825) while Darden Wilee contributed with a strong second-place finish behind McCalla on the beam. Kelley Banks placed sixth in the event for the Colonials.

The Colonials will meet Towson again along with Ball State University and host Michigan State University at the Spartan Classic Saturday night.

NOTES: GW’s Lindsay Parks won the A-10 Rookie of the Week for the first time. Parks finished fifth overall at Towson with a 9.850 score.