WEB EXCLUSIVE: New Web site recruits college-bound students

A new Web site can help graduate and undergraduate students find the right school for them, as a growing number of colleges recruit prospective students on the internet.

Get-recruited.com is a site that enables students to get admissions and general information about schools.

Students fill out questionnaires indicating their academic background and achievements, proposed fields of study and preferences. The entire process takes about five minutes to complete and is automatically forwarded to colleges via email.

The Web site created last July, currently links students with eighty colleges and is currently expanding to include even more schools.

The site promises that information will not be released to anyone except the participating colleges, universities, and graduate schools. By releasing information to many different schools, the site aims to make applicants aware of schools they had not previously considered.

The site connects students with schools where they have a legitimate chance of being accepted.

“Our system is programmed so that participating colleges only get questionnaires from students meeting the criteria set by the colleges … GPA, class rank, et cetera,” said Dan Rosenfield, communications director for get-recruited.com.

Many students are in favor of a Web site that could help to eliminate some of the mystery surrounding the college admissions process.

“This sounds like a good way to determine whether or not a school is interested in you, so that you will know your chances when you apply,” said freshman Barrie Gordon.

Others think that it could be helpful in learning more about the atmosphere of a school before applying.

“It could be helpful with information about daily life at a school,” said law student Jonathan Celva.

One student who is in the process of applying to graduate school believes the site can be beneficial.

“I’m applying to graduate school right now, and I have to visit so many individual sites. If there was one site with lots of schools it would be a lot easier,” said CSAS senior Shenice Hackett.

-Spencer Peeples