WEB EXCLUSIVE: Departments relocate, clear room for Gelman improvements

Two floors of Gelman Library will sport a new look next year as departments move out and the floors receive makeovers with red-leather chairs.

The German and Slavic Languages and Literatures Department will move from the library’s sixth floor and basement to the new Media and Public Affairs building, freeing up more room for the sixth-floor sitting area. The move also gives the library space for more small-group study rooms and books, University Librarian Jack Siggins said.

The Institute of Media Material will also abandon the basement level of the library, clearing room for a larger computer lab, Siggins said.

“Our main goal with all of these migrations is to return space to the library for its own use,” said Craig Linebaugh, associate vice president of Academic Hiring and Special Projects.

The library will house a new training facility to teach students how to use the internet for research.

“Our goal is for every freshman to have a minimal level of computer skill,” Siggins said.

Two corner rooms of both the fourth and fifth floors are also receiving makeovers.

“We are in the process of ordering new furniture for the fourth and fifth floor, similar to the chairs on the sixth floor,” Siggins said. “The two corner rooms on each of the two floors will become small reading rooms which will hold approximately 10 to 15 students.”

The MPA building will also house the Graduate School of Political Management, previously located at 2147 F St., the GW Institute for Public Policy, previously located in Funger Hall 507 , the Center for Washington Area Studies and the Public Administration Department, previously located in Monroe Hall, suite 302. The space these offices occupied are now being transferred to other departments.

The journalism department’s move to the new building also allows a series of relocations.

Suite 409 of the Academic Center, once the home of the School of Media and Public Affairs offices, now houses the sociology department, whose old offices on G Street are now used by the Graduate School of Education and Human Development. The Institute of Media Materials will take over the old GSEHD offices.

-Jennifer Drury