VALENTINE’S DAY GUIDE: D.C. offers romantic spots

Looking for a romantic place to take that special someone on Valentine’s Day? Perhaps the place with the starched white tablecloths, the dimly lit dining room with the flicker of candlelight bouncing gracefully off the walls, fresh flowers and a bottle of fine French wine. Several local establishments offer the offer fine dining and an air of amour just off campus.

The Palomino Euro Bistro is located in the Ronald Reagan International Trade Center at 1300 Pennsylvania Ave. Enter into a cafe on the ground level and venture downstairs to an open and cavernous dining space. The vastness of the space is tamed by the richness of the carpet and the fixtures, which block out cell phone rings from across the dining room.

The menu bills itself as Mediterranean, but that description is not exactly correct because at its heart lie its roots as a Seattle-based chain. Head hostess Katey Riordan, a GW sophomore, recommends the following menu for a perfect Valentine’s date:

Begin with an appetizer of the artichoke crab dip and then proceed to the Maytag bleu cheese salad, although the mesclun tossed with Gorgonzola and walnuts would also work well. Riordan suggests the seafood-stuffed salmon topped with a hollandaise sauce joined by garlic mashed potatoes. For dessert, unquestionably go with the caramel apple tart. Served warm so the vanilla ice cream has already begun its melt, the tart is undoubtedly the way to end an evening of extravagance at Palomino.

Another excellent and romantic spot is West 24. Located at 1250 24th St. in the West End, the restaurant is situated in the basement of an office building, a characteristic that actually lends itself well to the ambience. Started by perhaps Washington’s preeminent political couple, James Carville and Mary Matalin – he’s a Democrat and she’s a Republican – the restaurant is a bit of a tribute to Carville’s southern roots.

Descending the stairs, one might be struck by the wide swaths of yellow and black fabric that cover the small outdoor cafe. Upon entering the restaurant itself, the atmosphere becomes dark and welcoming, with its low ceiling and yellow and blue tones throughout the place. Ask for one of the corner booths, which come complete with small purple dividers, adding a bit of privacy.

The menu includes many fish options, and the sea creatures are better prepared than any of the land-bred entrees. To begin, the arugula salad with goat cheese is excellent, and the rockfish that follows is perfect. A word to the wise – the trout does appear on the table as the whole fish, head and all.

If you are up for venturing downtown, the M & S Grille at 600 13th St. is a good bet. The restaurant offers a fairly clubby atmosphere with plenty of wood fixtures, but private curtained booths in the back of the restaurant offer plenty of intimacy. The Grille is the cousin of the showier, more expensive Seattle-based McCormick and Schmick’s chain. Stick with fish again here, although the surf and turf dish is fairly tender and tasty.

Finally, a Georgetown classic, Filomena’s at 1063 Wisconsin Ave. is a cozy spot for a romantic Valentine’s Day meal. Venture downstairs into a restaurant that tries hard to make guests forget they are eating in a basement. The crab-stuffed mushrooms and calamari are both suggested appetizers, but a Caesar salad is always a good bet. The entree must be the gnocchi with a Bolognese sauce.

The “Pasta Mama’s” are good at what they do, and making a delicious gnocchi ranks high on their repertoire. Another entree suggestion is the lobster linguine in a pink sauce. For dessert, the strawberry cheesecake is moist, and the strawberries are not too sweet.