Off-color advice

It’s not often that I feel compelled to write a letter to an editor of a newspaper, but something I read in the Jan. 25 edition of The Hatchet warranted my reaction.

In the new features column that doles out love advice to students, I got red in the face when I read a question you published from a student complaining about her inability to achieve orgasm during sex (Bury the Hatchet, p. 6). Worse than that, I could not believe the nature of the response by your staff to that question going into graphic detail about everything from masturbation and using mechanical devices – even printing the word “dildo.”

Is this really necessary information for the GW community to know? Do you not think there are enough self-help magazines out there to help the sexually challenged?

I am a graduate student here and did not attend GW as an undergraduate. I therefore have the perspective of someone coming from a school that would rather skip a deadline than fill the college newspaper with vulgar sex advice. At the University of Virginia, this type of fluff – and I’m sure anyone will agree that a college newspaper giving out sex advice is desperate to fill its pages with anything – would not have made it past the lowest-ranked editor. I am simply appalled that The Hatchet’s editors, from the bottom to the top of the ladder, felt this was appropriate material to print in the newspaper of one of this country’s most respected universities.

For the first time ever, I am ashamed to have The Hatchet associated in any way with GW.

-Rania Awwad,
graduate student