Career Week offers job opportunities

The GW Career Center will help students learn more about many professions and how to land dream jobs during Career Week, which starts Monday. The program will feature interview workshops, job-search strategy meetings and one-on-one consulting sessions.

“Career Week is designed to be helpful for everyone,” said Jennifer Seile, job development coordinator at the Career Center.

The Career Fair, a recruiting event traditionally planned for Career Week, will be held March 29 this year because of scheduling conflicts, Seile said. The Career Fair allows students to speak to representatives from many companies about job openings.

The organizers of Career Week said they expect a good turnout despite the absence of the popular Career Fair.

“Career exploration is the point of the week,” Seile said. “This is not necessarily the place to find a job but it is great for networking and getting connections.”

The workshops will range from field specific topics, such as “Low Tech Careers in High Tech Companies,” to generally helpful themes, including Friday’s “From Backpack to Briefcase.” Wednesday will feature “Resum? Madness,” beginning at 5 p.m., where students can have their resume critiqued by employers and career consultants.

While Career Week organizers said they are trying to appeal to a variety of students, some underclassmen said they probably will not participate in the event.

“I am not that concerned with Career Week this year,” freshman Marilyn Muffs said. “But knowing that GW offers an opportunity for me like this will probably prove very beneficial in the future.”

Seile said the week offers events for all students.

“We want students to know that if they are just starting out as freshmen or graduating in the spring we have activities for them to participate in,” Seile said.

Other students said they are excited about what the week has to offer.

“I think Career Week is a good opportunity for me to look into possible summer jobs and internships,” sophomore Anu Ramlackhan said. “I have found the best place to do that is GW’s Career Center.”

The Career Center is also planning a program called Summer in the City that is designed for students who wish to find summer jobs in D.C. The event will be held March 8 at the Marvin Center.

“I would recommend all of the programs offered by the Career Center to anyone who is a little ambivalent about their interests,” senior Lerner Puretz said.

All Career Week events will take place in the Marvin Center, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Feb. 5-9. A full list of activities and times are listed on the Career Center’s Web site, www.gwu.edu/~career.