Bar Belle

Where: 1831 M St. NW
Crowd: Laid-back college students
Getting In: I.D. at door
Price: No cover, $3.25 drafts
Dancing: ’80s and ’90s pop music

It might be “end of days” for the traditional Tuesday nights at Mister Days, but Madhatter has become the new home to GW students every Tuesday night. Located on M Street, Madhatter offers students and post-grad types alike a fun place to just “hang out.”

The crowd includes locals, Days’ veterans, and “21-year-old” underclassmen. There is no need for black pants and tube tops at this joint; T-shirts, jeans and sneakers will suffice.

Eclectic sounds of ’80s dance music and ’90s pop fill both stories. Claustrophobics beware, once you squeeze through the slim downstairs and climb upstairs, the small bar can get a little tight. If breathing room and space to “shake your booty” are what you need, the more spacious downstairs bar’s dance floor is right up your alley.

This area has a section designated to getting down to your favorite tunes. Friendly bartenders with smiles on their faces, going by the names Mack and Mike, are more than happy to keep your drinks filled and the brew flowing all night.

The excitement and intensity is not as great as good ‘ole Mister Days, but Madhatter still has the basic elements of a fantastic night out with your friends. The Mister Days of the past will surely be missed, but Madhatter now offers a new reason to look forward to Tuesday nights.