PB will not host big concerts

Cypress Hill is the biggest concert GW will get this year because of limited campus venue space and an emphasis on student bands, Program Board Chairman Seth Weinert said.

Unlike past years, PB will not host any large concerts in the Smith Center because of tight basketball schedules and a limited budget, Weinert said.

“The thing with doing an event in Smith is that it’s very tough because of the men’s and women’s basketball schedule,” he said.

Weinert said it is difficult to find a day that works for a band and the Smith Center, and his group is limited by its budget.

PB spent $40,000 on Fall Fest last semester, which featured a performance by Cypress Hill and GW bands, according to a Sept. 21 Hatchet article, and about $25,000 to bring the Bloodhound Gang to Spring Fling last year, PB Concerts Chair Alex Harisiadis said.

The group received about $250,00 this year from student fees that all students pay.

In 1999 PB was a driving force behind a Live concert, which was staged at a sold-out Smith Center. That show was co-sponsored with IMP, a D.C. production company that owns the 9:30 Club, Harisiadis said.

Harisiadis said the group is pursuing “bands that people will recognize and have a loyal following, but not anyone like Cypress Hill.” He said Two Skinnee J’s, which toured with 311 and Incubus during the summer, is one possibility for spring.

“We’re looking at our options and seeing what’s viable right now,” he said.

Weinert said PB will pursue other activities instead of pulling a big name to campus.

“There are some programs we’ll be doing which have turned into annual traditions,” he said.

Unity Week, which takes place March 3-10 will focus on different cultures, highlighting their similarities and differences. The first week of April marks the beginning of a similar event, International Week. Weinert said he anticipates a high level of student-group participation.

Spring Fling, an event comparable to Fall Fest, will only feature student bands. Previous Spring Fling acts included Tori Amos, They Might Be Giants and Toad the Wet Sprocket.

“I want to see the best `Spring Fling’ that’s ever been put on at GW,” Weinert said.

Freshman Kane Fortune said he enjoyed Fall Fest but will not miss seeing headliners this spring.

“If there were too many events like that they’d start to get cheesy,” he said. “Maybe it’s better that way.”

Freshman Megan Robertson said while she was disappointed by the lack of concerts on campus, she knows D.C. offers other entertainment options.

“With being in such a big city, there are so many other options,” she said.

Robertson said the PB should still try to hold events for students on
campus.

“The Program Board brings people together,” she said. “On a campus like ours . you need a sense of unity.”

-Tim Donnelly and Kate Stepan contributed to this report.