Lil’ Wayne redefines Hot Boys formula

Fast bass beats to rattle the trunk, electronic sound effects to hit the tweeters and a hook repeated over and over for consistency; songs produced by the members of Hot Boys crew are easy to spot, and to anyone unfamiliar with this unique rapping style, they all sound the same.

While Lil’ Wayne’s voice is the only thing that distinguishes tracks on his sophomore release, Lights Out (Universal Records), from the countless other albums from B.G., Big Tymers, Juvenile and company, the Cash Money rapper takes the Hot Boys style to new creative levels.

Lights Out stays true to the Hot-Boys formula with lyrics about money, cars and women blended into a barrage of sound effects and cameos from others in the Hot Boys lineup. The only thing missing is a track that could get a party thumping or even encourage more than a head nodding to innovative beats.

Listeners searching for Hot Boys hits “Back That Thang Up,” “We on Fire” or “Tha Block is Hot” will be disappointed with this album’s relaxed tempo.

Lil’ Wayne starts the album off with “Get Off the Corner,” letting out a familiar “the block is hot” to remind listeners this is not his first stab at a solo album. A cameo by Juvenile, who offers his signature grunt “uh-oh” before going off to background clapping, helps “Hit U Up” start the record off with a slow, hypnotic tempo that continues for much of the album.

From beginning to end, Lights Out detours from in-your-face rapping other artists thrive on, relying on a mix of innovative beats that make a case for an instrumental follow-up release.

The album takes Hot-Boys rapping to a new chill level with “Everything,” which features an old-school beat common to old Dr. Dre tracks and rapping that matches the emotional content of the lyrics about a fallen friend.

Stretching his set format to creative limits, Lil’ Wayne throws in some R&B in “Break Me Off” that sounds more like a Brain McKnight album than one from a member of the Hot Boys. But Lil’ Wayne responds to any questions that he is softening his style with the stand-out track “Shine,” which mixes in pop-rap beats and lyrics to produce a fun adventure in rap land.

Realizing the Hot Boys have been mostly successful producing albums together that give an all-star cast on each track, Lil’ Wayne puts camios from B.G., Big Tymers, Juvenile and others to good use on Lights Out.

But Lil’ Wayne wastes an appearance by Big Tymers in “Lil One,” which mixes sound effects last heard in Nintendo’s Super Mario Bros. with uninspired lyrics. “Wish You Would” makes more effort to mix up Lil’ Wayne’s set rapping pace with a voice effect that gives the rapper an unwelcome futuristic sound.

Two other attempts to shake up Lil’ Wayne’s style have better effects. Beats that could easily make their way into the next Star Wars make “Realized” worth a listen, and tunes apparently inspired by the Beach Boys give the listener a needed break from redundant lyrics in “The Blues.”

While Lil’ Wayne futilely attempts to create a style of his own – including the annoying track “Biznite” – he sends the message that Hot Boys can stand strong alone.

The writer can reached at [email protected]