Web only: GW welcomes students with festivities

The Marvin Center was abuzz with music, food and fun Friday during Playtime! Night, part of GW’s Winter Welcome Week activities.

Three floors were decked out with themes, activities and giveaways. J Street hosted a country ho-down with arm wrestling in front, line dancing led by a cowboy clad in Western attire and a mechanical bull.

The Hippodrome hosted a virtual-reality theme with games, dancing and ice cream. The third floor was adorned with a Hollywood theme, complete with black, sparkled decorations and four rooms of activities. Students found food, video making, pictures with celebrity lookalikes, frame making and a station to get their pictures on mock magazine covers.

Sophomore Mohammed Faye said he came to have a good time.

“I came along with my friends,” he said. “I did the virtual reality stuff, that was cool and fun.”

“I didn’t know what (Playtime!) would be like, but I am enjoying it,” senior Rasheid Neil said. “I came to see a lot of people and to be around a big crowd.”

On the ho-down floor, where students mingled wearing straw hats and plastic sheriff’s badges, cowboy instructor Dennis Askwitch announced the next line dance would be the tush push.

“This is a good time,” Askwitch said. “The kids are great. Being students, they tend to warm up as the night gets later. It looks like everything is very well organized.”

Courtney Hubbard, who attends the University of Virginia, attended the festivities Friday with GW friends. Hubbard lasted about 30 seconds being spun and bucked by the mechanical bull.

“The mechanical bull was a dizzying experience,” she said.

Sophomore Jodi Horton said the Hollywood floor was her favorite area. “I really liked making my own frames,” she said.

The video and magazine rooms were also popular spots at the event, which drew enough students to create lines at some activities.

Freshmen Feven Kiflu and Angela Lee said their community facilitator encouraged them to participate. The students agreed the rainy weather on Friday night deterred some students from attending.

Junior Ayanna Jackson said inauguration events probably cut into the attendance.

“I thought there would be a lot more people, but I guess with the inauguration there aren’t as many,” she said. “I think it makes it more comfortable with less people though.”

Angelia Henderson, who attends the University of the District of Columbia, said the events keep her optimistic about her decision to transfer to GW.

“I think this is really nice,” she said. “I am about to transfer now after seeing what is provided for the students. I think this is great for the students and their families.”