University suspends fraternity

GW suspended the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity from campus for two years for violating the University’s hazing policy, GW officials said this week.

Tracie Anzaldi, director of Greek Affairs, said the historically Jewish fraternity lost University recognition because of hazing violations in the fall, but Alpha Epsilon Pi was already in disciplinary troubles from December 1999 “judicial incidents” and failures to meet sanction deadlines.

“Hazing allegations this November was the straw that broke the camel’s back,” Anzaldi said. “I think it’s important that the community understands that the University will not tolerate hazing.”

The fraternity went through a restructuring of their chapter, in which they set out the goals and plans for their chapter. The fraternity’s national organization also came in to review the operations. No violations were reported last spring, Anzaldi said.

Alpha Epsilon Pi President Jared Fayer said the hazing accusation is untrue, but declined to comment further. He said his organization is a target of GW efforts to minimize Greek-letter influence on campus, he said.

“The school targets one or a few different organizations and goes after them,” Fayer said. “We just happened to be targeted.”

Sidney Dunn, executive vice president of the fraternity’s national organization, Alpha Epsilon Pi National, said an agreement between the University and the chapter has not been finalized. He declined to comment on specifics of the agreement.

“We believe there is an agreement, we have a signed agreement from the University,” Dunn said. “But there seems to be a misunderstanding as to what that agreement is.”

When the University no longer recognizes a fraternity, the Interfraternity Council is also required to give up recognition of the organization.

“It’s a shame anytime GW loses a chapter,” IFC President Jared David said. “The way it weakens the community is only temporary and in the end it makes the community stronger.”

The IFC voted unanimously to postpone indefinitely a vote to officially suspend Alpha Epsilon Pi at a meeting Tuesday. A motion to vote to suspend the fraternity from the IFC until the University formally recognizes them again failed.

Fayer said his fraternity’s suspension and Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s eviction from its house at 2034 G St. are harmful to the Greek-letter community. Sigma Alpha Epsilon, which lost University recognition in 1993, was evicted from its house in August.

“At first it was (Sigma Alpha Epsilon), now it’s us,” Fayer said. “I feel bad that the two most powerful fraternal organizations on campus are not affiliated with the school. If this suspension goes through, I feel bad for the Greek system.”

With GW’s approval, the IFC will vote to readmit Alpha Epsilon Pi in January 2003. GW’s approval is contingent on the chapter’s behavior during the suspension. If the University or IFC fails to readmit the chapter, the fraternity will have to wait another two years to reapply.

“It’s kinda the whole concept of a tainted well,” Anzaldi said. “Some of the underclassmen who had to go through this are opposed to hazing, which is why you want to give them a second chance.”

-Seth Goldman contributed to this report.