GW welcomes students back

GW students will enjoy a “School Daze” this week, as the Student Activities Center and the Marvin Center sponsor the 2001 Winter Welcome Week. Activities began on Tuesday night with a tailgate party before the GW men’s basketball game against Xavier. The GW dance team and cheerleaders gathered in J Street with music and free popcorn.

On Wednesday, GW musicians performed at GW Unplugged in the Hippodrome, at which student bands were given a chance to exhibit their talents.

The week continues with Tom Deluca, a comic hypnotist who will be making his annual appearance in Lisner Auditorium Thursday night. Doors open at 8:30 p.m.

Friday, SAC is sponsoring Playtime! Night in the Marvin Center. It will last from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. The Marvin Center will be transformed into three floors of fun activities.

The first floor’s theme is a country fair, said Amy Riesner, coordinator for special events for the Student Activities Center. There will be a mechanical bull, line dancing, and mechanical arm wrestling, among other events.

The third floor has a Hollywood theme, where students can make videos, have their picture superimposed on a magazine cover, take their picture with a celebrity look alike and have their fortunes read by a tarot card reader, Riesner said. The fifth floor will have a virtual reality theme at which there will be all sorts of high tech, virtual reality games.

“The purpose of Winter Welcome Week is to bring the student community together and to get them excited about the semester and instill a sense of school spirit,” Riesner said. “We want to incorporate all of our campus’ diverse student population and provide an atmosphere that is relaxed.”

Riesner said this year’s Winter Welcome Week is different than last year’s events.

“There is a lot more student involvement. For example, GW Unplugged demonstrated the talent of some GW students. Various student bands were chosen to perform,” Riesner said. “In addition, Friday night’s activities in the Marvin Center wouldn’t be possible without student volunteers.”

The weeklong schedule of activities will conclude with Saturday’s Inaugural Ball.

Upcoming Winter Welcome Week Activities

Thursday, January 18, 2001
Tom DeLuca
Incredible Comic Hypnotist
Lisner Auditorium – Doors Open at 8:30 p.m.

Friday, January 19, 2001
Playtime! Night in the Marvin Center
Marvin Center, 9 p.m. – 1 a.m.

Saturday, January 20, 2001
Inaugural Ball
Don’t Miss This Party!
8:00 p.m. (For tickets call 202-994-7129)

For more information contact the Student Activities Center at 994-6555 or visit gwired.gwu.edu.