WEB EXCLUSIVE: GW offers security tips for winter break, study abroad

Students who plan to return to GW in January should exercise caution to protect their belongings in their residence halls or apartments, University officials said.

The most serious thing for students is that they shouldn’t leave valuables in their rooms over break, said Dolores Stafford, director of the University Police Department.

Last year, seven Aston Hall residents had laptops and computer equipment stolen during winter break.

UPD will continue to patrol residence halls over break at least as often as they do now, Stafford said. But students should still not adopt a false sense of security.

Historically there has only been one year when we didn’t have a string of thefts in one residence hall during the winter break, Stafford said.

All students in residence halls will meet with their community facilitator to go over closing procedures and safety tips before leaving campus, said Mark Levine, assistant dean of students.

He said freshmen, in particular, should make an effort to speak with their CF since this is their first winter break away from the residence halls.

All residence hall rooms with deadbolts will be bolted during the break, and all student GWorld access cards to the closed residence halls will be deactivated.

Access for University personnel will remain the same as during the academic year, Levine said.

If a pipe breaks over the break someone from facilities will still go in and fix it, Levine said.

Students will receive a checklist that will remind them to secure their rooms before they leave, he said.

Stafford also offered tips for those students who are heading to their winter destinations by air. Students should remember to keep their valuables with them and avoid placing anything of worth in checked luggage, she said.

At this time of year people think about stealing more often, said Stafford, adding that people who pack their valuables in their checked luggage are more likely to experience theft.

Students who plan to study abroad next semester or traveling overseas over the break should learn as much as possible about where they are going before they leave, said Lynn Leonard, director of the Office of Study Abroad.

Luck favors the well-prepared, she said.

Leonard said students should become familiar with the cultural aspects of areas where they travel and check the State Department’s Web site, which offers student travel tips.

Once out of the country students should rely on the same instincts that they use in D.C., Leonard said.

Walking alone late at night or while intoxicated can put students in a dangerous situation, Leonard said. Students should also be aware of their surroundings at all times and watch for suspicious people.

Safety is ultimately the student’s own responsibility, she said.

Students who plan to stay at a single location for an extended period should register with the country’s U.S. embassy or consulate, Leonard said.

Some students who have studied abroad said safety issues should be taken seriously when traveling abroad.

People need to realize you’re not as mobile as you are here, said Curtis Ried, a senior who studied in South Africa and France. You are not as free to go out at night.

Other students agreed.

Once it got dark out, my (host) family would worry about me, said Brenda Bradberry, a senior who studied in Nepal and Germany. Females need to be careful.

Others said students should be careful not to create disturbances in public and be careful about the things they do when they first arrive until they are more familiar with the culture.

Leonard, from the Office of Study Abroad, said she did not know the exact number of GW students who are victims of crime abroad, but said crime affect students studying abroad.

Like here in D.C., the things that are most common are pocket theft and stolen belongings, Leonard said. Students need to develop their own personal strategies to stay safe.