Colonial suffer loss without top scorer

The GW women’s basketball team had its worst shooting performance of the season in a 71-54 loss to Seton Hall University Sunday afternoon at Walsh Gym in South Orange, N.J. GW managed just 32 percent shooting (22-of-67) and four Colonials fouled out.

GW (4-4) was without their top scorer, senior Petra Dubovcova, who sprained her knee in last week’s game against Georgetown. Without her, the Colonials presented a smaller, less intimidating team.

The Colonials needed to make up for Dubovcova’s 11 points and five rebounds a game, but they were unable to accomplish that Sunday. Sophomore Erica Lawrence stepped up, leading the team with 15 points and nine rebounds while Corrin Reid added ten points.

After taking an eight-point lead into halftime, the Pirates (5-3) improved their chances for a win with a 10-2 run to open the second half. The Colonials were 16 points behind and unable to recover. Elena Vishniakova hit a quick jump shot, but then fouled Seton Hall’s best player, Arminda Moreno. Moreno hit both free throws, and Vishniakova would foul out a few minutes later, leaving GW with no big player inside to grab rebounds. The Colonials were out-rebounded 40-32.

Their second half shooting just grew worse as the team shot just 8-of-35 in the second half. Sophomore guard Lindsey Davidson, who has played well of late for GW, fouled out and was held scoreless.

Towards the end of the game, the Colonials were scrapping for points and hitting their shots. They cut the 16-point lead to four points. GW started to foul the Pirates. But Seton Hall, led by Moreno (18 points), hit 17-of-20 free throws in the final six minutes. Moreno led the way hitting 7-of-8.

With just over two minutes to play, Seton Hall sealed the game with an 11-0 run.

Kristeena Alexander had a season-low two points going 0-of-10 from the floor.

The loss was GW’s first loss to an unranked team. The Colonials will look to rebound from Sunday’s loss when they host Mount St. Mary’s Dec. 17 at 2 p.m.