Staff editorial: Fugitive foiled

A fugitive wanted by the FBI was apprehended by University Police officers Nov. 21 in front of Tower Records. UPD showed its value as a police agency by capturing one of the nation’s most dangerous criminals.

UPD detained a man calling himself Antonio Freeman, who UPD Director Dolores Stafford said was wanted by the FBI for charges of kidnapping and rape. The FBI posted an arrest warrant Nov. 1, 1988 for Adrian Freeman, who has many aliases, in Cleveland, charging Freeman with kidnapping, rape, gross sexual imposition and aggravated burglary. Adrian Freeman is on Cleveland’s FBI most wanted list, according to the FBI’s Web site.

Freeman’s capture is proof of the University’s commitment to protect its students, employees and visitors. By employing a well-trained police force, they are able deter crime and catch criminals. GW’s location is often touted as a great asset, but with an urban campus come important concerns including a need to watch for fugitives who may take advantage of a bustling city environment to evade capture.

While GW cannot prevent criminals from traversing University property, UPD officers can arrest offenders before they do any harm here. The entire University community should congratulate UPD officers for catching a violent criminal who eluded the FBI for more than a decade and recognize that UPD officers are not merely security guards. Rather, they are trained police officers who protect GW.