WEB-ONLY: GW helps Congress use the Web

GW and the Congressional Management Foundation received a $978,000 grant from the Pew Charitable Trusts to conduct the Congress Online Project, a joint two-year study of Congressional Web sites and online communication.

The project, which aims to strengthen communications between congressional representatives and their constituents, will focus on the challenges and opportunities of online communications.

With this generous grant from the Pew Charitable Trusts, the Congressional Management Foundation and The George Washington University will be working to help Congress better respond to the opportunities and challenges of online communications, said Dennis Johnson, associate dean of GW’s Graduate School of Political Management and principal investigator for the project, according to a University press release.

The non-profit Congressional Management Foundation will develop a model for Web site communications, analyze 600 congressional Web sites and train congressional staff members in internet communications.

GW will provide basic research on the online communication needs of congressional constituents and assist experts in the private sector.

The University will also host a conference addressing Web technology and communications in Congress.

-Tim Donnelly