Letter: SJT chooses MVC

As some of you might know, Nov. 6 was the Freshmen Convention with GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg. At the convention each freshman residence hall was allowed to ask the president one question about anything concerning GW. The questions ranged from the future of the Mount Vernon Campus to how the freshmen could become better neighbors to the D.C. community. President Trachtenberg answered the questions with honesty and candor, which was greatly received by the freshman class.

If you know what the Freshmen Convention is, I’m sure you know that at the end of the evening, President Trachtenberg usually goes off to sleep at Thurston. But this year, President Trachtenberg decided he would consider going to another freshman residence hall. Each hall had to make a bid to the president on why he should stay at that hall. The competition became very fierce. Rumors spread. Was he going to stay in the Hall on Virginia Avenue or at Mount Vernon? Or would Mitchell win out with their funny song? Like the presidential election, no one knew what was going to happen, which made the end of the convention very nerve wracking. But President Trachtenberg did make a decision, and to my happiness and surprise, he chose my hall, the Mount Vernon Campus.

I was given the privilege of being President Trachtenberg’s community host during his time at Mount Vernon. I was proud to represent the freshman class of GW and MVC to President Trachtenberg. I think he had a really good time with us, especially at his very warm reception in Hensley Hall. Walking him around, I learned a great deal about the school and I think he gained insight into Mount Vernon. I would like to use this public forum to thank President Trachtenberg for choosing MVC and for being so open and easy to talk to. President Trachtenberg, I hope you had a good time here, and I encourage you to stop by MVC anytime. Thanks again!-Blythe Purdinfreshman