Electrical fire causes evacuation

A small electrical fire in the basement of the H.B. Burns Memorial Building caused an evacuation of the building late Wednesday morning, said Dolores Stafford, director of University Police Department. No one was injured and the cause of the fire has not yet been determined, she said. The building is part of the GW Medical Center at 2150 Pennsylvania Ave.

When UPD arrived on the scene at about 11:43 a.m., smoke was emanating from the building’s north side, Stafford said. A UPD officer pulled the building’s alarm and then performed a procedural search to ensure full evacuation.

None of the neighboring buildings were damaged or evacuated, but Information Support Services had to turn off all computer systems in the Ambulatory Care Center because of the power outage, according to an advisory alert from the GW Virtual Help Desk.

Student Health Service was also closed for the remainder of the day, but emergency services remained open.

Fire and Arson Investigation arrived to the scene with D.C. Fire and Ambulance vehicles. Metro Police shut down Pennsylvania Avenue from 22nd to 23rd streets, mostly to facilitate access by fire and police officials, Stafford said.

The building was closed for the remainder of the day after the fire was extinguished, but will most likely re-open Thursday, Stafford said.

-Tim Donnelly