Man robs GW student

An unidentified man attacked a GW student and stole her purse while she walked alone near the intersection of 22nd and L streets, near Aston Hall, early Thursday morning, said Dolores Stafford, director of the University Police Department.

The student was walking to campus on 22nd Street at about 5 a.m. when a man approached her from behind and knocked her to the ground, according to an incident report filed with the Metropolitan Police Department. The suspect grabbed the woman’s purse and dragged her across the street, according to the report.

The man released her when she let go of the purse and he ran to 22nd and M streets, where he fled by car.

MPD took the student to the GW Hospital emergency room where she was treated for minor arm injuries.

The suspect is described as a black male about 25 years old, 5 feet 11 inches tall who weighs about 180 pounds. The man, who was last seen wearing dark pants and a light shirt, has a light complexion and dark hair according to the report.

MPD officials said there were no witnesses.

Stafford said MPD contacted her about the incident, but UPD will not file the incident report because the attack occurred off campus.

Aston residents said they are concerned by the large number crimes reported in and around the building.

It doesn’t surprise me, this building is a security nightmare, said an Aston Community Host, who wished to remain nameless.

People are more aware, but not necessarily scared yet, said sophomore Katie Robinson. It’s brought into their minds more now, but I haven’t seen general terror.

Robinson said she has taken more safety precautions since last month, when a man attempted to rob two Aston residents in the building’s elevator.

I’m more wary, I don’t make eye contact, she said. Robinson said she makes sure the door to the building is closed after she enters, preventing anyone from piggybacking into the building.

Other students said they are not as concerned about Aston safety.

I’ve never really had a problem myself, sophomore Aston resident Jon Siegel said. But I can see why people are worried.

Sophomore Jimin Desai said University officials have not addressed recent safety concerns with Aston residents, including a reported gas leak Saturday.

I want to know about these things, said the CH, who wished to remain nameless. They should at least inform us.

Students throughout the building shared similar opinions.

Obviously (GW administrators) are not being the most proactive on keeping people informed about what is going on around here, Siegel said.

Anyone with information about the attack can call MPD at 727-1010.

Aston Hall Security Notes

October 22, 2000
A male suspect attempts to rob two female students after following them into a building and onto the elevator early morning. The scheduled Community Host was not stationed at the entrance. The females walked off the elevator at their floor unharmed.

March 7, 2000
A sophomore reports her backpack stolen from her locked room while she was in the room at 4:45 p.m. There is no sign of who took it. The Community Service Aide on duty finds the backpack in the lobby bathroom at about 10 p.m., missing $50, a credit card and two bank cards.

February 12, 2000
An intoxicated homeless man enters the Aston early morning and falls asleep in a hallway, blocking the entrance to a room. UPD arrives 45 minutes later and arrests the man.

January 2000
Eight students report stolen laptop computers and other items from the Aston Hall during winter break. University Police and Metropolitan Police departments make no arrests and have no suspects.

-Brooke Reinders,Tim Donnelly and Alex Kingsbury contributed to this report.