BZA postpones campus plan vote

The D.C. Board of Zoning Adjustment postponed its vote on GW’s campus plan to Dec. 12 from the scheduled Nov. 15 vote.

The BZA needs more time to review the information because the D.C. Office of Planning submitted information late, said Charles Barber, senior counsel for the University.

We welcome the opportunity for the board to be fully informed of the positions, Barber said.

Universities are required by law to submit a campus plan to the BZA every 10 years. GW’s proposed campus plan has come under fire this year because of conflict between the University and Foggy Bottom residents over the number of GW students living in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood, GW building purchases outside campus boundaries and undergraduate student behavior in the neighborhood.

The University has proposed requiring freshmen and sophomores to live in campus housing. The University has also pledged to house 70 percent of undergraduate students, limit off-campus purchases for University use to specific blocks along F Street and build more beds than the number of undergraduate students it enrolls by 2005.

Office of Planning and BZA officials were unavailable for comment.

The BZA approved Georgetown University’s campus plan Wednesday.

Georgetown’s campus plan included provisions for adding four new academic buildings and residence hall space accommodating 780 beds. The plan includes an expansion of part of its campus on the model of a village, according to Georgetown’s Web site.

The BZA . recognized Georgetown’s position as a leading educational institution and commended its seriousness in addressing community concerns about off-campus student behavior, said Georgetown President Leo J. O’Donovan, according to a Nov. 8 press release.

-Sarah Lechner