New pizza joint opens on campus

GW students now have a new place for quick cuisine when they get tired of the familiar routine.

Pizza Italia, a pizza restaurant located at 1917 F St. across the street from Thurston Hall serves plates of spaghetti, fresh ziti and salads. But pizza is the restaurant’s main attraction, said Alex Menadose, Pizza Italia general manager.

Prices for a slice of pizza at the restaurant, which opened last month, range from $2.15 to $3.19. The store does not currently accept GW Debit Dollars.

Pizza Italia manager Ali Zahid said will begin accepting them, as soon as the GWorld office signs a deal to do so.

Menadose said location is key for his establishment.

Being across from Thurston Hall did play into the decision to start a pizza place here, Mendose said. A lot of our business is from students.

The restaurant also sells bread, Ramen noodles, cereal and other food products, plus other products students use on a regular basis, such as pain relievers, deodorant and cleaning supplies.

I’ve never seen that combination before, but it’s cool, freshman Karen Kavanagh said.

Students said they are happy to have another dining option.

It’s the best pizza I’ve had in D.C. so far, but I don’t have much to compare it to, said Steve Fisher, a Thurston resident. It’s convenient, and it stays open late.

Pizza Italia is open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays through Wednesdays and 12 p.m. to 3 a.m. Thursdays through Saturdays and 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. Sundays.

Being from New York, the pizza can’t compare, but it was all right, Thurston resident David Kaye said. It was cheesy, and it had the right amount of spice. They had a lot of selection.

Some New York natives gave the pizza a passing grade.

It’s really good, but it’s no New York pizza, Kavanagh said. I’m all about the plain cheese pizza, and the slice I had was pretty good.

Thurston residents are not the only ones who are enjoying this new dining option. GW students Lauren Kahn, Emily Ando and Marianna Racz, who live in Columbia Plaza, said they have eaten at Pizza Italia four times since it opened.

If we had this last year, I would have been here everyday, said Ando, who lived in Thurston last year.

Students said Pizza Italia is better than the Little Caesars dining option in Mitchell Hall.

They don’t take 20 minutes to cut a piece of pizza and complain about it when they serve you, said Kaye, referring to his experience at Little Caesars in Mitchell Hall.

Pizza Italia is looking for students to work on the other side of the counter. Manager Zahid said the restaurant now has seven students working for it.

We already have hired some students from GW, Menadose said. Anyone else from GW who wants a job would be considered for a position.

Students said they are pleased to have a new option so near campus.

(Thurston Dining Hall) is good, but mac and cheese gets old, Kaye said. The pizza place offers a nice alternative.