Colonials lose in shootout

The GW men’s soccer team played through a scoreless regulation and an unimaginable four overtimes until, finally, in the first round of a five-shot sudden-death shoot-out, the Dayton Flyers scored one goal GW could not match. The goal defeated the No. 4-seeded Colonials in a semi-final match of the Atlantic 10 Championships in Kingston, R.I.

Top-seeded Dayton led 5-4 in the shootout as GW freshman midfielder Sean Ross got set to take a kick that would either send the game into another round of shootouts or send the Colonials home.

Ross, who was named to the A-10 All-Rookie Team before the game, took only three shots all season and did not convert any of them. He was facing Dayton’s goalkeeper Jeff Krempec, who had nine saves prior to the shootout.

On the whistle, Ross shot the ball to the lower-left corner. Krempec dove just as Ross unleashed the kick and made the save, eliminating GW and sending the Flyers to the final round to face Rhode Island.

GW goalkeeper Nick Parypinski played outstanding all day and into the shootout. He made the save on Dayton’s second penalty shot from Patrick Wirtz, but the referee called it back because Parypinski jumped too early from the goal line. Wirtz was given a second opportunity to the dismay of the Colonials, and converted the re-kick.

The two teams last faced each other on Oct. 29 in a game that ended 2-2 after double-overtime.

NOTES: Before the semi-final match, sophomore Matt Osborne was named to the A-10 First-Team. Osborne led GW with 15 goals, scoring in six consecutive matches at one point in the season. Junior Matt Pilkington was named to the second team after scoring five goals during the season. Ross and Fabio Andrade were named to the All-Rookie Team.