Be `Biggie Joel’ on campus

Let’s talk about our much-renowned president, Stephen Joel Trachtenberg. I understand it is pretty popular to call him Notorious SJT and Biggie Joel. Lots of students like to bash him, but I am not here to do that. When President Trachtenberg came to GW in the late ’80’s, this school was nowhere near the level it is at today. I know GW is only a second-tier school, but those statistics don’t mean a damn thing anyway. Plus, if you really thought this school was second rate, then you could always transfer to a better one, smarty-pants.

In fact, President Trachtenberg has done a fair amount for this school. Yet the student population continues to complain. Of course it is our moral and inalienable right to complain horribly if the Meximelt isn’t exactly the way we ordered it, but name a school that satisfies 100 percent of its students.

President Trachtenberg’s problem resides in his relationship with the students. The last time most of us saw him was during the magical period of change and orientation called Colonial Inauguration. Perhaps he has been spotted wining and dining the Trustees under one of those tents set up in Kogan Plaza during one of the many ceremonies guarded by the fearsome University Police with their little beepy things.

The fact is, I cannot relate to President Trachtenberg. I want to know if he likes Hebrew Nationals or Tofu Dogs. I want to know if he chews with his mouth open or mismatches his socks every now and then. I want to see him at the Pasta guy or at a basketball game yelling at the top his lungs, Who let the dawgs out?

I understand he has a professional reputation to uphold with the faculty and fellow colleagues in higher education, but would he not gain even more respect if he had the admiration of the students? I don’t want an extremely extroverted president. I don’t want to see him at a house party or late night at Manouch. That would bother me. But I would like to see the sandwich lady at J Street yell at him to back up the line or Trachtenberg grabbing his tacos at Taco Bell after the little old lady yells, SJT!

I haven’t the faintest idea how to run a university but it seems to me there should be excitement surrounding the president. There has to be energy on the campus that is contagious. GW has that energy, but not because of a particular person or aspect of the school. It has that verve because of the great city of Washington. GW rocks my world because of the Mall and the Smithsonian and the White House and the Ellipse and all of the fun places to go at night. I am happy here at GW but more because of the city than the school.

President Trachtenberg, engage us. Be our wingman so we can someday be yours. Inspire an insatiable appetite within us for GW, not just Washington, D.C. Be giddy with your own innovation. Have fun with us, your students, the people you are trying to help so much. Shake your ass once with Big George or have a beer at Lindy’s. Don’t be the smart one of them but be the smartest one of us.