Soul Camp offers incredible party

Hip-hop party Soul Camp is alive and well on the same day, new location. Now held at Diversite at 14th and P streets, the Thursday night party still features DJs Taek One and Dirty Handz, who spin the latest hip-hop for D.C.’s dancing pleasure.

For those less interested in getting their dance on, break-dancing crews Natural Elements and Lions of Zion perform throughout the night. Hip-hop fans can grab a seat on the balcony to watch these b-boys twist and spin across the dance floor as a huge disco ball casts a glittery roller-rink effect on the venue.

The organizers of Soul Camp also bring in local artists to showcase D.C. hip-hop talent once a month. Last Thursday Defined Print displayed its innovative style, as Stylus Chris and Jahad dropped their intelligent lyrics that transmit a political, spiritually oriented message while keeping heads bobbing with classic rhymes. Backed up by Dirty Handz, the performers spit out conscious lyrics and have a great stage presence.

Unspoken Herd took the stage after Defined Print. With MC’s Asheru and Blueblack backed by DJ Taek One, the Herd stresses the importance of hip-hop appreciation and features great interaction between DJs and MCs. It was obvious the Herd was happy to be home after performing in Europe. And many familiar faces of the D.C. hip-hop scene, including the local legends Team Demolition, were in attendance to show their respect.

Although current crowds at the party’s new location haven’t matched last year’s huge bashes at The Garage, word is spreading. Each week seems to feature a larger crowd and a better mix of college students – local hip-hop fans and others. Cover is $5 for men and women get in free before 11:30 p.m.

Soul Camp takes place at Diversite, located at 1526 14th St., NW (14th and P). Call (202) 483-4896 for info. After 11:30 cover is $10 for men, $5 for women.