Golf finishes last

The GW golf team ended its fall season with a disappointing last-place finish Tuesday at the Seascape Invitational Tournament in Kitty Hawk, N.C. A solid finish in this tournament would have given the Colonials a shot at a national competition.

The Colonials competed against some of the best teams in the nation, including No. 6 Virginia Tech.

We went in to do better and give the southern schools a run for their money, said junior Thomas Blankvoort, who scored a 79 and 86 at the tournament. Unfortunately, it went really badly.

The conditions were tough on the first day. The wind was very strong and the first three holes were the most difficult in the tournament. As the day progressed, the team did not make enough birdies to secure a solid finish.

The first round was bad, but it was damage control, Blankvoort said.

The first three holes were also difficult for junior Bobby Barnett, who finished with scores of 95 and 87.

I was eight over par after three holes, Barnett said. I took a 10 on the second hole which is a par four. This bad start affected the rest of my round. I shot 52 on the front (nine holes) and I have not shot 52 since I was twelve.

The Colonials did not improve on the second day. GW players posted a lot of double and triple bogies.

As a team we weren’t confident off the tee and got into trouble a lot, Barnett said. This course was very narrow with trouble on both sides so we needed to be hitting it straight. We obviously weren’t consistently staying out of trouble.

This disappointing finish will not affect the Colonials’ overall standing in the league.

It’s going to be a lot of work in the spring, Blankvoort said. People have to be motivated to practice and work harder.

The spring opener will take place at the William and Mary’s Kings Mill Invitational March 5.