Einstein Bros tests GW

GW became the only University in the country to incorporate Einstein Bros Bagels in its student meal plan, part of an exclusive marketing experiment Einstein Bros is conducting.

Einstein Bros is a new addition to the dining options brought by Aramark, the company that services the University’s food, said Jared Levin, marketing manager of GW’s Dining Services.

It’s something that Aramark has been trying to do for quite a while, he said. They pretty much have every (food) concept imaginable, but they didn’t have a bagel.

Levin said the GW market has been responsive to Einstein Bros.

A lot of our customer base is from the New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania area, he said. It just seemed like bagels would be a nice fit.

Einstein Bros has functioned well in the Marvin Center despite some small problems since it opened on the first day of classes this year, Levin said.

It’s a work in progress, Levin said. We basically told them `You have to take everything you offer and offer it in a much smaller space.’

The GW Einstein Bros shop is a test market for the company.

This is the first unit we’re doing, said Greg Powell, vice president of business development for Einstein Bros. It’s been very successful. You can tell from the lines around the corner of the hallway that the students are happy.

Students said they are pleased with the addition.

It reminds me of home, I used to eat at Einstein all of the time back home and I just love it, freshman Melissa Lizerbran said.

Powell said Aramark approached Einstein in the spring to incorporate a bagel concept in Aramark’s offerings. The two companies made a national agreement about nine months ago, and Aramark plans to use Einstein’s products in other contracts, Powell said.

GW has pioneered food concepts in the past, Levin said. GW has the only Jamba Juice store east of the Mississippi River, he said.

The 25- to 54-year-old age group is Einstein’s core body of customers, but the company wants to begin brand-recognition early, Powell said.

One day you will be those 25 to 54 year olds, he said. We want to introduce you to our brand and when you go out into the world and become those businesspeople you’re already familiar with our products.

Sarah Presser, a sophomore from Philadelphia who is a former employee of Einstein Bros, said she enjoys the newly added chain because it offers healthier dining than most campus options.

Powell said he thinks Einstein Bros will do well with the college market.

I think for us it makes a lot of sense, Powell said. I think our brand is attractive to college students. It’s kind of fun, it’s kind of whimsical.