Sigelman named editor of political science review

GW political science professor Lee Sigelman was recently named as the editor of the American Political Science Review.It is a place where political scientists write for other political scientists, Sigelman said about the APSR. First published in 1906, it is the foremost publication of academic research on politics, according to a University press release.It is an honor for me, but more importantly I think it’s a recognition of how far this department has come in the last 10 to 15 years, Sigelman said.Sigelman’s three-year appointment as editor will begin next September, he said. The main job of the editor is to run a review process, Sigelman said, adding that the publication receives about 600 submissions a year. He said other tasks include choosing a 35-person editorial board and editorial assistants. The mission of the APSR is to bring together political scientists from all fields of inquiry, regions and occupational endeavors to expand awareness and understanding of politics, according to the publication’s Web site.According to the Web site, the APSR is the world’s largest professional organization for the study of politics, with more than 13,500 members in more than 70 countries worldwide. The APSR is available in the Gelman library.-Susie Coggin and Kate Stepan