GW bans halogen lamps

The University has banned halogen lamps in residence halls because the lights present a fire hazard. The Community Living and Learning Center announced a new rule Oct. 12 that prohibits the lamps.

Halogen lamps can start fires if they are knocked over because they use bulbs that emit more heat than most light bulbs, making them a hazard in cluttered rooms, said Mark Levine, assistant dean of students at CLLC.

The University created the rule as a safety precaution, Levine said. He said he is unaware of any prior incidents on campus, but banning the use of halogen lamps is a standard that most universities enforce.

Other universities very much influenced our decision, Levine said. It is a general recommendation to not have halogen lamps.

Levine said halogen lamps caused fires at other universities and GW wants to prevent the problem before it starts.

CLLC is ordering students to unplug their halogen lamps until the lamps can be removed.

Student reaction to the new rule is mixed.

I think it is a fair ruling because halogen lamps are dangerous and have been known to cause fires in dorms, said Jessica Straus, a junior living in JBKO Hall. Obviously that is a big concern and I’m willing to comply.

Junior Margaret Adgent, also a resident of JBKO, said the rule will not affect her.

If I had a halogen lamp I’d be more upset, but I don’t, so this rule doesn’t concern me, she said. Personally I can’t say I really care, but I do feel bad for the people that have them.

The rule is effective immediately, Levine said. Students can expect their Community Facilitators to begin checking for halogen lamps during monthly health and safety inspections.-Lia Bozonelis

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.