CRs, CDs gather to watch debate, voice their support

Members of the GW College Democrats and College Republicans gathered in a neutral location – Hillel – to watch the final presidential debate Tuesday night.

CRs applauded and CDs booed when moderator Jim Lehrer announced that recent polls showed Gov. George W. Bush with a slight lead over Vice President Al Gore.

The group of about 50 students, watching the debate over pizza and soda, continued to cheer and heckle as candidates addressed issues such as gun control, education and military readiness.

This was a more engaging debate (than the first two), junior Mistique Cano said. They have tackled issues more than in the past debates. It’s been competitive, and I think that is needed.

Students offered mixed opinions about who they thought won the debate. Gore mopped the floor with Bush on education, sophomore David Kay said.

Others were more reserved with their praise.

I thought that Gore handled himself well, freshman Nick LoRe said. I thought he was more full-throttle, a little stronger. Bush seemed more flustered.

Some Bush supporters said the governor’s strengths came across during the discussion of specific issues.

I like what Bush has to say about the military and foreign affairs, said freshman Tiffany Valeriano, a Bush supporter. I think he handled those questions well.

Bush’s plan of tax relief for small businesses is an issue sophomore Amanda Deegan, another Bush supporter, said she was listening for in the debate. His stance on that issue came across well, she said.

Many students said the candidates’ performances did not sway their choice for president, but they enjoyed watching the vigorous debate with other politically minded students. Some said they came with their minds made up.

Gore could have done a horrible job and I would still vote for him, Kay said.

Both Valeriano and Deegan said their support for Bush was not affected by the debate.

The final debate had a more casual atmosphere than the first two, with the candidates free to walk around the stage while talking and answering questions from an audience of 143 undecided voters chosen by the Gallup polling service.

For the first time in the series of debates, a young audience member raised the issue of apathy among younger voters. Gore said voter disillusionment increases the importance of campaign finance reform, and stressed his support for the McCain-Feingold bill banning soft money contributions. Bush responded, saying governmental finger-pointing has caused voters to turn away from politics.

A lot of people are sick and tired of the bitterness in Washington, D.C., he said. They look at Washington and see people pointing fingers and casting blame and saying one thing and doing another.

CR and CD leaders said the event helped bring politically conscious students together.

This is a way to meet other students interested in the election, said Anjan Choudhury, president of the CDs.

Kay said he agreed.

I think this is a good opportunity to be with other politically involved students on campus, he said.

Students said watching debates with others is more interesting than viewing them alone.

I think it is interesting just to watch how other students react (to the debate), she said.