Native Americans protest Columbus

(U-WIRE) EAST LANSING, Mich. – Native Americans – and everyone else – have the right to protest Columbus Day.

On Monday night, about 200 people gathered at the rock on Farm Lane to celebrate Indigenous People’s Day, which protests the federal observance of Columbus Day. A forum about the holiday was held earlier that day in front of the Michigan State University Administration Building.

Each year, Native American protests of Columbus Day shed light on an issue that the general public is unaware of during the rest of the year. These protests demonstrate the importance of critically examining history and searching for the true facts beyond what is printed in a textbook. By presenting a different take on Columbus, Native Americans ignite further investigation and discussion by historians about the actual events that took place.

Protests such as the one at the rock do more than question the exalted status of Columbus. They also raise awareness of the struggles Native Americans face today and promote appreciation for Native American culture, as well as increase the visibility of Native Americans at Michigan State. They provide an opportunity for Native Americans to connect with and appreciate their ancestry.

To many Americans, Columbus Day is only an interruption in postal service and an opportunity for shopping sales at furniture and carpet stores. These protests force the public to examine the meaning of the holiday, as well as analyze the purpose and meaning of all federal holidays.

Native Americans raise legitimate points about the actions of Columbus. While most of the attacks on Columbus are still speculative, the objections they have made are appropriate. There are many views about Columbus, but most history classes fail to adequately portray the perspective of Native Americans.

Indigenous People’s Day changes the public perception of Columbus as a hero who discovered America. Columbus was in the right place at the right time. He discovered America by accident and the country was already inhabited. His actions should not be glorified.

Columbus may not have personally raped and pillaged millions of Native Americans, but his actions opened a floodgate to the near destruction of an entire people. Columbus’ arrival marks a part of the beginning of America, but it is not necessarily a beginning that should be celebrated with a federal holiday.

Columbus’s actions should not be considered as destructive as those of war criminals. The Native American genocide that occurred after Columbus’s arrival has not been shown in textbooks as a part of his intention.

The focus of Columbus Day should switch from celebrating the actions of a person to celebrating Native American culture and the birth of America. Instead of continuing to celebrate a person whose heroism is questionable, the day should be used to respect the culture and lives of those who lived here first.

Native Americans should continue to celebrate Indigenous People’s Day until the time when the rest of the country joins them.

-Staff editorial
The State News (Michigan State U.)