IFC seeks higher fraternity GPA’s

The Interfraternity Council announced the schedule of events for its annual Greek Week at its meeting Tuesday evening. IFC President Jay Levin also discussed a new fraternity initiative to improve the academic standards of the GW Greek community.

Greek Week is traditionally a time for Greeks to get together and have fun, said Adam Zambuto, IFC vice president of programming. It’s a friendly competition and a chance for us to get together and party and have fun.

The week’s events, called Greeks in the City, will begin with Eric Garrison’s presentation of The G-Spot – Questions to a Sex Columnist, Wednesday night in Funger Hall.

Fraternities and sororities will each select one member to participate in a date auction Thursday night in J Street.

This year, to provide incentive (for participation), the winner from the fraternities and sororities each get half of the date auction proceeds and the money will be donated to their national philanthropy, Zambuto said.

Thursday will also mark the beginning of the Greek god competition.

It’s kind of like a pageant of sorts, Zambuto said. The contestants are encouraged to wear togas but do not have to.

Other events will include skits and the conclusion of the Greek god talent portion Friday evening, as well as a barbecue and the Greek Games competition in Kogan Plaza Saturday.

At the meeting Levin also described an initiative to boost fraternity GPA averages that was approved in September. The Academic Improvement Mission, or AIM, focuses on helping all members achieve the 2.0 GPA required to participate in extracurricular activities and raise the all-fraternity GPA over GW’s all-men’s GPA, Levin said.

The whole point is to help guys who aren’t doing well, not just push them away, Levin said.

He said the program was introduced because some new fraternity members worried that activities would hinder their academic performance.

We want to be able to say that by joining a fraternity your GPA will probably go up, Levin said.

Levin described the five aspects of AIM, which all fraternity presidents accepted voluntarily.

The first provision mandates that every new fraternity member must attend a time-management seminar, organized in conjunction with the University Counseling Center, this semester.

The second establishes an effort within each fraternity to raise its collective GPA above the all-men’s average.

The third and fourth reward plaques to the fraternity with the largest GPA increase from last spring to this semester. The program would offer a similar reward for the Panhellenic Council or National Panhellenic Council chapter that achieves the same recognition.

The last AIM initiative calls for the collection of all academic plans used by some fraternities, compiling them and redistributing them for use by each chapter. These could contain effective uses and times of study hours, tutoring and old exam resources.

We’ve created a position to oversee AIM and added programming to make it effective, Levin said.

Barron Gati, who serves as the IFC’s new Scholarship Chair, said he is enthusiastic about the program’s goals.

We really want to help new members in all fraternities and sororities do better than they would do normally, Gati said. I would like to see the Greek community improve as a whole in the area of scholarship.