Family Weekend and Restaurant Guide: Students prepare for parents, siblings arrival

Many GW students have already begun preparing for Family Weekend and their parents and siblings arrival on campus.

Families from all over the country are set to converge on campus Oct. 13-15 for the annual event, highlighted this year by Midnight Madness and a concert by The Beach Boys.

As much as I love my parents, I hope the University has something for them to do, because I don’t want to have to entertain them the whole time, freshman Karen Morchower said.

Parents will receive schedules of on-campus sporting events and lectures in addition to events taking place all over the city, said Rodney Johnson, director of Parent Services.

Students living in the Hall on Virginia Avenue said they are both anticipating and dreading their family’s return.

Its too early for me to see them, I just started to get used to being on my own, I would rather see them at home, freshman Giannis Doulanis said. Plus, now I have to take down all my incriminating pictures off the walls and clean the room.

Making use of its urban location, the University encourages families to go out into the city by providing trolley tours and making tickets available to events at the monuments and the Smithsonian museums, Johnson said.

Parent Services is planning the weekend’s programs for the third year in a row to present a relaxed atmosphere for parents to see their children, Johnson said.

Parents usually come during Colonial Inauguration or moving days where they are under constant stress and are unable to relax, Johnson said. Family Weekend is the only time during the fall semester where the entire family can really see where the student is living and can really get to know the campus and the city.

Sentiments among many HOVA residents ranged from excitement to a feeling that their families were invading their space.

I can’t wait for my parents to visit so I can show them how well I have adjusted to college life, freshman Jan Black said. I want them to meet my friends and see the city.

Roommates Jon Luwisch and Ross Albert said they began cleaning their room a week early so they do not have much work to do right before their parents arrive.

Both students said they are excited to finally go out to a good dinner when their families get here, and they hope to take their siblings around campus.

I am going to take a shower, clean the room, and get ready for lots of free food, Albert said.

Students who have been through the Family Weekend routine take a more relaxed approach.

I didn’t see my parents much last year but I hope to make it up to them this year, we will hang out, go out to dinner and have a good time, sophomore Brian Kirrane said.

Johnson said this weekend is not strictly for parents new to GW. He said it is structured for all families because there are always more things to do in D.C. every year.

Some students whose parents are not visiting for Parents Weekend said that they will spend a quiet weekend studying or going out with friends parents. Others said they looked forward to cashing in on extended family benefits.

I have already been home but I am really excited to see all my friend’s parents and go out to dinner with them, freshman Fallon Nemirovsky said.