Warner leads charge in women’s soccer victory over Rams

The GW women’s soccer team came off a disappointing loss to conference rival La Salle Friday to beat Fordham Sunday in Atlantic 10 play. Redshirt freshman Kim Warner once again showed GW and the team’s A-10 foes what they missed, as Warner scored twice to lead GW over the Rams 2-1 at South Riding Field. The Colonials, with a 4-9 overall record, have kept themselves in the hunt for a postseason birth by playing their best in conference matches. Despite playing only four home games and playing 30 miles from campus, head coach Tanya Vogel refused to use the schedule as an excuse.

Whether it’s home games, or home games that are 30 miles away from campus we don’t care, we show up and we play, Vogel said.

The team has prepared itself well for the games that matter most and are a strong 3-1 in conference play. The team could make a major statement in the A-10 with wins at Rhode Island and Massachusetts next weekend

As much as we are confident in the conference, every conference match is a battle, Vogel said. This team is really a never-say-die-to team.

GW 2, Fordham 1

Sunday, October 8

Warner, who missed all of last season with an anterior cruciate ligament tear, used her speed to thread the opposing defense, scoring both GW goals and leading the Colonials to a 2-1 win over Fordham. In the 17th minute, A-10 Player of the Week Erin Coppedge knocked the ball downfield, where Warner chased it down. Warner took control of the ball ten feet in front of Fordham goalkeeper Shannon Misiaszek, who had little chance of saving Warner’s quick shot.

Warner used her speed to extend the lead to 2-0 when GW junior Angelica Caramanica passed the ball well in front of her. Warner once again chased it down, gained control and knocked it in the goal under a sliding Misiaszek.

Aside from Warner much of the win could be attributed to a strong defensive effort by the Colonials, who allowed only one goal.

Our defenders were solid today, Vogel said. Tiffany Williams played an amazing game – she was all over the place. Molly Sunderdick did a great job and so did Kate Terranova.

Fordham’s lone goal was scored at the start of the 84th minute when Lauren Garuccio took a cross-field pass from Colleen Sullivan and put a shot over GW goalkeeper Christine O’Malley.

We’re not going to get an at large bid this season, so with that in mind the only way to get to the NCAA Tournament is by winning our conference, Vogel said. We’ve put ourselves in a pretty good situation where we’re 3-1. We have six games left in the conference, three big weekends.

La Salle 3, GW 1

Friday, October 6

Although the Colonials played a strong second half against La Salle, Tanya Vogel’s team was unable to recover from an early two-goal deficit and fell to the visiting Explorers 3-1 Friday. GW’s lone goal came from Coppedge, who scored her seventh goal in the last four games. The goal came in the 64th minute when GW found itself already trailing 3-0. GW was out-shot 25-18 in the game. O’Malley made 10 saves for the Colonials.