Students dine at 10th-annual Taste of D.C.

Students tickled their taste buds on food from around the District at the 10th-annual Taste of D.C. festival last weekend.

The three-day outdoor food and music festival, which took place on Pennsylvania Avenue between 9th and 14th streets, featured cooking from 40 D.C. restaurants with more than 160 dishes from around the globe, organizers said. They added that the three-day event is the largest event of its kind on the East Coast and was expected to draw one million visitors.

International dishes such as jerk chicken, sushi and Italian sausage were served alongside American staples, including fries, burgers, Maryland crab soup, fried chicken and barbecue ribs.

Admission was free and visitors paid $6 for eight meal tickets and $25 for 40 tickets.

It’s a great way to experience different kinds of food for very little money, which is important when you’re a college student, sophomore Dan Weir said.

The event also included booths for an international crafts bazaar and live music.

The booths featured hand-crafted dolls, jewelry, paintings, masks and sculptures.

Live music included rhythm and blues, calypso, funk, reggae, jazz and other international and American sounds.

It’s a great way of experiencing all of the cultures D.C. has to offer, freshman Brandy Kelly said.

The festival was sponsored by the D.C. Committee to Promote Washington, a private non-profit organization.

The Capital Area Community Food Bank, Food and Friends, The Children’s Cancer Foundation, and the D.C. Central Kitchen also received partial proceeds from the event.

-Kate DuBois