Sorority to argue recruitment violation case

The Panhellenic Association canceled Monday night’s scheduled meeting, said Panhellenic President Madeline LePage. The association was supposed to use the meeting to review a case of an alleged recruitment violation.

LePage said Friday that only one infraction report had been filed, and the case was minor.

LePage declined to disclose the name of the chapter responsible for the infraction that occurred during fall recruitment.

Panhellenic’s judicial board will hear chapter testimony before deciding any possible penalties.

Minor violations include incidents in which sororities violate budget limits or recruitment guidelines.

The organization classifies major violations as instances in which chapter members bad-mouth other chapters or their members in front of a recruit. Major violations also include promising recruits a bid to the chapter, and illegal contact with recruits.

Penalties for minor violations include official sanctions and constructive punishments, which require chapters to organize an educational workshop or activity.

Penalties for serious violations could include loss of social privileges, LePage said.

LePage said no date had been set for the rescheduled meeting, which will be closed to the public. -Ashley M. Heher and Russ Rizzo