Scholar’s Village gets connected

Most students living in the Scholar’s Village on 22nd Street received phone service in their townhouses last week after relying on GW cellular phones for more than five weeks.

The 29 Village residents had used cellular phones provided by the Community Living and Learning Center while Verizon Communication worked to install wiring in the buildings added to GW’s list of on-campus housing in January.

By Friday five of the six townhouses had received phone service. Because the one remaining townhouse is separated from the others by a property GW does not own, Verizon has not been able to connect its phone lines, said Michael Peller, managing director for Property Management and Real Estate.

They had a problem connecting through the building. There were issues with the connections that had to be worked out, Peller said. The house itself is wired and will soon be connected.

Some students said the cellular phone interim solutions worked well because the University paid for the local and long-distance phone service.

Each townhouse will receive a DSL, or Digital Subscriber Line, Peller said. DSL is slower than cable modems or the University’s Ethernet connections, which are standard in most residence halls, Peller said.-Alex Kingsbury