GW blanks A-10 foes

Matthew Osborne scored GW’s only two goals last weekend, including a double-overtime winner Sunday as the visiting Colonials shutout both Fordham and La Salle and found themselves atop the Atlantic 10 conference standing with a perfect 4-0 record. The Colonials (7-2-2, 4-0 A-10) managed a combined 16 shots, but Osborne delivered when needed and the team got outstanding goalkeeping from Nick Parypinski, who made 13 saves over the weekend and picked up his fourth and fifth shut-outs of the season. GW will look to inch forward to the four-team A-10 tournament when Rhode Island and Massachusetts come to South Riding Field next weekend.

GW 1, Fordham 0 (2OT)

Sunday, Oct. 8

Osborne took quick feeds from A-10 Rookie of the Week Justin Evans and senior Jeff Greenspan in the 114th minute of double overtime and scored the only goal of the game, giving the Colonials a 1-0 win over Fordham in New York. Osborne has now scored in his sixth straight game and his 10 goals this season have been critical in GW’s four consecutive A-10 wins to start the conference season.

GW 1, La Salle 0

Friday, Oct. 6

It took Matt Osborne just under a minute and a half to score the first and only goal of the game Friday as GW beat host La Salle 1-0 in Philadelphia. The key to GW’s win was the strong play of Parypinski, who made six saves on the day and preserved the shutout. Osborne’s quick goal to start the road trip was a header, sent to him from GW’s other offensive threats Jason Holloway and Matt Pilkington.