Colonials march in Ohio

The GW volleyball team returned from the always-difficult Ohio weekend – which pitted the Colonials against Xavier and Dayton – with wins against two of the best Atlantic 10 teams, an individual career record and the team’s best overall start since 1994.

That is because GW survived hotly contested matches, a thrilling five-game marathon against Xavier and an exhausting four-game win at Dayton. The Colonials’ (14-3, 6-1 A-10) big weekend saw senior Suzana Manole record 41 digs at Xavier, the most by any GW player. The two road wins give the Colonials a strong shot at winning the A-10 regular season title, and GW is only a few wins away from securing a postseason A-10 Tournament berth. Conference Player of the Week Tracee Brown didn’t disappoint either, as the senior pounded a combined 46 kills. GW will battle non-conference opponent Georgetown Wednesday night at the Smith Center.

GW 3, Xavier 2

Saturday, Oct. 7

The Colonials escaped Xavier (11-6, 5-2 A-10) with an important five-game win to complete their weekend sweep Saturday behind strong senior leadership at the Cintas Center in Cincinnati. Manole and Brown were assisted by Jill Levey (60 assists) and Julie Jahnke (16 kills, 10 digs) in the 9-15, 15-11, 15-9, 14-16, 15-12 win. Key factors in the match included the Colonials’ miniscule 27 errors in the match while out-digging Xavier 114-96. Five GW players had double-digits in digs.

GW 3, Dayton 1

Friday, Oct. 6

If GW performs at Dayton’s Fredricks Center the way it did in the team’s four-game victory over Dayton (9-7, 3-3 A-10) Friday, the Colonials will have more celebrating to do next month. Dayton’s home court is the sight of the four-team A-10 Tourney, the same court where the Colonials set a team record for solo blocks with eight in their 15-12, 12-15, 15-12, 15-11 win. Senior Renee Arnold stepped up with 18 kills and 18 digs while Jahnke added 14 kills.