Men’s soccer crushes St. Joseph’s, Temple

The GW men’s soccer team crushed the visiting St. Joseph’s Hawks and Temple Owls at South Riding Field last weekend giving the Colonials an impressive 2-0 start to begin Atlantic 10 play. GW juniors Jason Holloway and Matt Osborne stepped up at the right time for the Colonials, each scoring three goals and adding an assist. The swarming GW offense continued its strong shot production as players put up 45 shots in two games. The Colonials (5-2-2, 2-0 A-10), who have not played a road game in almost a month, will travel to La Salle and Fordham next weekend looking to jump out to a 4-0 A-10 start.

GW 4, St. Joseph’s 1
Sunday, Oct. 1

GW’s offense was in high gear Sunday as Holloway and the Colonials dominated the Hawks 4-1 at South Riding Field. Holloway scored twice and assisted on the team’s first goal, scored by Gregg Friedman in the fifth minute.

Holloway continued the Colonials’ attack in the 11th minute when the junior stole the ball from a St. Joseph’s defender and scored over charging goalkeeper Michael Drozdick.

GW’s Nick Parypinski made five saves in goal, but was unable to stop the Hawks’ lone goal in the 38th minute – a chip shot that sailed over the goalkeeper. But 2-1 would be as close as the Hawks (3-5, 1-1 A-10) would come.

In the 68th minute a perfect header from Osborne led to Holloway’s second goal of the game. Osborne scored a goal of his own in the 84th minute off a corner kick that was headed by Justin Evans right to the front of the goal. Osborne gathered the ball and kicked it past Drozdick for his eighth goal of the season – a fitting way to end the junior’s solid weekend.

GW 3, Temple 0
Friday, Sept. 29

Matt Osborne scored twice on second-half penalty kicks to lead the Colonials over the Temple Owls 3-0 Friday during GW’s A-10 opener. GW dominated the game offensively, out-shooting Temple 26-5, but the Colonials did not find their touch until Osborne’s first penalty kick in the 78th minute. GW’s Matt Pilkington was fouled in the Temple penalty area setting up the goal.

Osborne scored his second goal of the game and seventh of the season in the 84th minute when a frustration foul was called on Temple (1-6, 0-2 A-10) in the penalty area.

GW’s final goal and third in nine minutes came from last season’s leading scorer, Jason Holloway. The junior forward sealed Temple’s fate in the 87th minute when he took teammate Justin Evans’ crossing pass and beat Owls goalkeeper Drew Moser.