Soccer sets sights on Owls

With non-conference matches out of the way, the GW women’s soccer team looks to start off fresh as they begin the most significant portion of the season Friday at Temple and Sunday at St. Joseph’s.

The team’s first eight matches have caused the players and coaching staff considerable frustration and disappointment. The team, however, plans to bounce right back, making itself a strong competitor in the conference.

Several factors have contributed to the team’s difficulty so far, but a lack of scoring has hurt the Colonials the most.

We’ve had a very difficult schedule and we have a very young team, assistant coach Brian Pensky said.

Pensky said the team’s youth has been evident in games in which as many as six freshmen have started.

Head Coach Tanya Vogel was careful to note that the team’s younger players are not inexperienced.

They’re just playing at a higher level (than they have in the past), Vogel said.

Vogel said the team has not been aggressive, and some players sometimes get too caught up with the competition and lose sight of what they have to do as a team to win.

We have to take care of ourselves and just worry about ourselves, and let the others teams worry about themselves, Vogel said.

Vogel and Pensky are working on a couple adjustments in their coaching techniques as they help their team overcome its current difficulties.

We’re going to be more aggressive, Vogel said. We’re not going to see what (competing teams) will bring to us. We have to show them what GW has.

Pensky said the team is looking for motivation.

We just need to find a way to instill some self-confidence in our players, Pensky said. Of course, there’s nothing like actually getting a win.

Although it remains too early to tell what the team’s future holds, the Colonials know the only way to win the title is for them to go out and beat the opposition.

We have continued optimism, Vogel said. We have to finish this season strong.